In the News - Level 4 Sample Unit
In In the news students undertake a research activity on an issue in the local community and report to the class using a multimedia slide-show presentation. Students develop an action plan to address the issue and write an article which could be published appropriately.
Students use multimedia software to compose, record and revise their report. Students identify photographs and sound to use in their slide shows and enhance the presentation. During the research they use strategies such as brainstorming, planning, questioning, note making, action planning, composing and revising, and they refine their editing skills through improving their own texts. Students learn how context, purpose and audience shape and influence written texts. They set personal goals and evaluate their own learning and social interactions throughout the unit.
This unit provides opportunities for students to demonstrate achievement against the standards in Interpersonal Development, Personal Learning, Civics and Citizenship, English, Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and Thinking Processes.
This unit addresses learning focus statements from all three strands at Level 4:
Physical, Personal and Social Learning
- develop roles and responsibilities for working in groups
- reflect on a personal learning goal
Civics and Citizenship
- research an issue that is relevant to the local community
- develop text for a multimedia presentation on an issue
- plan, rehearse and give a presentation on their issue to the class
- develop an article for publication on an issue
Information and Communications Technology
- plan and use information and communications technology to inform class members about their issue
- develop questions to assist in researching their issue
- use a range of sources to research their issue.
In the news (PDF - 117KB)